Sunday, April 11, 2010

....and it's Sunday already?@#!

April 11, 2010 - Day 11

I worked from 8-4:30 today......yawn.

I will share a little story from yesterday that
got my heart pumping.

Hayden was scootering around the cul-de-sac
and was told to stay where I could see him.
I had to zip back inside and check on dinner.
I went outside 2 minutes later....
and he was NO WHERE IN SIGHT.

My heart was going a hundred miles an hour
in my throat
and I totally started to panic.
I ran to the end of the street one way.....
no Hayden.
I ran to the other end of the street.....
no Hayden.
I started yelling his name.
omigod.
omigod.

I ran all the way to the park in the valley
(which is behind the houses facing ours)
and there he was.
Swinging.
Not a care in the world.

I ran up to him, shaking, voice quivering,
and asked him why exactly he was at the park
all by himself.
To which he replied; "My tummy hurt so
I needed to go for a swing, Mommy."
Seriously?

I had to lay down the law,
and I think he understood how scared I was.
He apologized and promised
not to go off on his own again.

In his mind, for all the times I tell him
what a big boy he is....
it made sense that he was big enough
to go to the park on his own.

Not yet, my little man.

4 comments:

Shawna said...

Oh my gosh, Kara! I could feel it, reading this, I could feel the panic. Having lost a kid or two on occasion myself (thankfully always found them!), it is easy to imagine how you felt. Glad everything turned out fine, except for the wear and tear on your heart.

Scott & Tessa said...

oh my goodness....MY heart is pounding just reading it, I can't imagine what you felt! Crazy little man...hopefully he understands now!

The Blakeneys said...

YIKES!! It's stories like this that make me either want to put our kids in bubbles, or at the very least, get them those leashes we used to all laugh about!! I wonder how much an electromagnetic force field around the house would cost...

T said...

I say, let's implant them all with tracking devices. Ronan use to be a "bolter" and it caused us a lot of grief. Thankfully it seems to have subsided for the time being. I know how stressful that can be.