Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Sinterklaas 2010

We celebrated the annual Dutch tradition of Sinterklaas
at Tessa & Scott's this year!
 
We had a delicious Dutch dish for dinner, threw around some papernote for dessert 
(think teeny-tiny gingerbread cookies) 
put the kids to bed, and started our highly anticipated gift exchange!

As always the presents are a surprise....though that is getting harder to do
with kids around who like to unknowingly spoil secrets :)

Ralph, who is the king of the most intricate and "challenging" surprises,
drew Tessa's name......





....but she wasn't puzzled for long and solved the clue to find her yummy gift!

Quite coincidentally, Tessa drew Ralph's name.....





.....and Ralph's very own life-sized DVD, starring himself, held the clue to his presents!

Henk drew Scotties name and there was fear in his eyes 
'cause Henk is known for the messy surprises.....



....he didn't disappoint when Scott had to sift through a giant  industrial strength inhaler, containing 72 cupcakes, to find the thumbtack 
which had the clue to his present written on it!

I drew Eveline's name and thought she could use the zipline skills 
she learned in Mexico to make her job much easier.....





....but she had to dig through a 40 pound box of sand to find her presents!

Scott drew my name this year and I am usually the recipient of
a messy surprise too.....





I too had to pick through 72 delicious cupcakes to find letter clues for an anagram 
giving me the location of my gifts!  
(the reason I know they were delicious is because I ate 
half a dozen of the damn things just from licking my fingers!!)

Last but not least, Eveline had Henk.....





A giant hand-crafted tennis ball full of tennis balls 
held the letter clues for Henk's gifts!

We had a great time with LOTS of laughs,
and look forward to the next time 'Sint comes to town!

5 comments:

The Blakeneys said...

Such a fun tradition. I look forward to hearing all about it every year. The Deters clan is a crafty bunch, that's for sure!!

Eef said...

Aaah, I want to have 144 cupcakes tooooooo!

Sinterklaas looks awesome! We never celebrate it that much. Haha.

Shawna said...

It always amazes me how much time and creativity you all put into this tradition. Awesome!

meryljade said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
meryljade said...

Out of all of the blog posts i read, this is honestly the one I look forward to every year! Thank-You for always sharing this awesome family tradition :) Merry Christmas to you guys!!