Thursday, January 20, 2011

Thoughts for Thursday

1..Swimming lessons have started on Saturday mornings!  I despise the water.....and get nervous in the shallow end while my feet are touching.....but the kids are loving it.  Hayden is in Sea Turtle again because his VRRI instructor wanted him to re-do it to gain confidence.  His Cardel Place instructor was surprised because he has already passed the level on class #2!  Oh well.  Confidence is a good thing.  Olivia continues to be a fishy and loves to sing the songs and jump off the side of the pool into the water even when Mommy isn't fully paying attention!!

2.. Saturday night out with the girls was super fun, and the service at DaGuido was..... interesting.  It's a long story :)  Regardless of the hour and a half wait to get our table....we certainly had some great laughs and some good eats.  Thanks ladies!  Looking forward to next time! 


 3..Toast.  My kids eat it every day, but their habits are completely different.  Olivia will eat one slice.  If we're lucky and the wind is blowing right.  Hayden is a bottomless pit.  He was STILL eating when I left for work on Sunday morning.....he was on his FOURTH slice!!  I'm thinking it's a growth spurt.  He also ate his teachers Nutri-Grain bar at school the other day because the snack I gave him wasn't big enough?!  Huh??  Sorry, Mrs.K :)

4..I wanted Hayden to stay home from school the other day because it was like -40 with the wind chill.  NO WAY Mommy.  What?@#!  I know one day I will be begging him to go to school.  Forcing him to get up and go.  But for now, it's me he needs to motivate when it's cold and miserable and I want to stay home and watch movies.  I thought PJ and movie day was every kid's dream day?!  Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy he loves school.  I love that he wants to go and play with his friends and learn a thing or two.  I hope to keep that feeling as long as possible.  Mommy just needs to suck it up.  And bundle up :)

5.. NOOD is the wickedest gadget-y store.  I bought some really cool magnets and pens and recycled paper note pads.  They had cool kitchen stuff too.  So I bought some trivets and silicone baking pans.  I could have bought A LOT more.  Next time :) 

6..Why have I had such a hard time finding a GOOD pencil sharpener??  I keep buying awful ones that end up chewing the pencils.   I remember that my dad used to have an electric sharpener on his desk and we used to love playing with it.  And it make wicked points on pencil crayons.  (Did anyone else love getting a new package of Laurentians, freshly sharpening them, and putting your initials on the little white space of each one??)  I almost paid $10 for a similar one at WalMart.  But I settled on the one for $4.97.  It works pretty good.  But it's not quite as much fun :)   I wonder if Dad still has that thing.....

7.. I think I may have been a teacher in a former life.  I stock-pile papers and pencils and markers and stickers and all of that jazz.

8.. I need to have an Olivia-cam.  She is saying so much and being so cute these days.  I think it would be fun to have the camera on her for a day just to capture the essence of "her." However, she may not allow it.  She's also developing the 2 year old 'tude.

9.. Hayden and I went tobogganing yesterday with his class.  Not a bad way to spend an afternoon at "school."  We had a RIOT!!  It was sunny and we were toasty warm in our 17 layers of clothing.  Hayden looked like a goober, because they insisted the kids wear helmets, but we had some good runs and some GREAT wipe-outs.  Hayden even went down the hill without me a few times.....he wanted to go with his friends instead.  Oh God, that's not starting already, is it??  But he sure did his best to tire me out first.....



10.I made the most delicious blueberry scones last night.  (We had creme fraiche left over from another recipe so I told Ralph to Google "recipes with creme fraiche" and find something delicious for me to make.)  The only thing that would have made them better....white chocolate and some raw sugar on the top.  Like my favorite ones Starbucks used to have.  Do you see why I would utterly fail the Wild Rose cleanse?@#!

3 comments:

T said...

You would totally not fail the detox! Ok, a mom at my school gave up after 4 days, but you could do it!!!

Those sledding pics are great! The helmet thing was new for us too, but the last time we went and my kids were not wearing their helmets, they got some strange looks from the other parents.

Love how you used photoshop to fix the pic of the girls. Now we look like ladies instead of teenagers (yes I am speaking for myself) Fun fun!

Shawna said...

Why doesn't Starbucks have those scones anymore??? I loved them, too. Sledding is so fun!

www.erinkelly.ca said...

oh!!! now i want those scones too.

dang you all.

LOVE the update. I miss you!